Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
Hereford Inlet Lighthouse
On May 11, 1874, this elegant yet sturdily built Victorian-style lighthouse, surrounded by lush English Cottage Gardens, first cast its light over the waters. Its square tower, connected to a two-story residence, shares a near-identical design with Point Fermin Light in Los Angeles, California. During the 1800s, the village of Anglesea—now known as North Wildwood—was emerging as a thriving fishing community. However, strong currents and shifting sandbars frequently caused groundings and shipwrecks, making it clear that a lighthouse was needed to mark the mouth of the inlet. The lighthouse stood firm against wind and tides until a severe storm in 1913 significantly damaged its foundation, prompting it to be relocated 150 feet west to its current site. In 1964, the light was deactivated when ownership transferred to the State of New Jersey, and an automated skeletal tower was erected nearby to replace it. Left without caretakers, the lighthouse began to deteriorate until 1982, when it was leased to the City of North Wildwood and restoration efforts began. After several years of dedicated work, the modern marine beacon was transferred from the skeletal tower back to the lighthouse in 1986, restoring it as a fully functional aid to navigation once again.
111 North Central Avenue North Wildwood, NJ (609) 600-1561