Fenwick Island

Fenwick Island

The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was erected in 1858 and first lit on August 1, 1859 to warn passing ships of the hazardous Fenwick Shoals. Standing 75 feet tall, the brick tower is topped by a 10-foot lantern. The watch room and lantern are painted black, while the tower and keeper’s dwelling are white, creating a striking visual contrast. Originally fueled by whale oil, the light was later converted to kerosene and magnified by a third-order Fresnel lens imported from France. In recognition of its historical significance, the lighthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The U.S. Coast Guard decommissioned the light in 1981, and ownership was transferred to the State of Delaware. Today, it is maintained and operated by the non-profit organization Friends of Fenwick Island Lighthouse 


400 146th St. Fenwick Island, DE
(302) 436-8100.